June 3, 2008

Niki vs. Mud, Sand, Salt Flats and Casino Fever

Every year my Uncle Larry puts together a large group of riders to ride from Dell to Wendover on their 4-wheelers and motorcycles. This takes all day long! It's in May so a lot of the spring run off is still coming down, which inevitably leads to large puddles of water and MUD! The first part of the ride goes through a mountain pass, by the time you reach the other side you are completely covered (this is not as relaxing as a mud bath at a spa but has a similar look!). The middle part leads you to the sand dunes at Knolls. The mud that has already become a endearing and lingering part of you now has a lovely outer crust of sand. We stop for a break and some lunch (which was catered...very nice I love "Sand"wiches!). Then head out for our last leg of the trip, the Salt Flats. At first sight looking across the flats it looks like diamonds sparkling all over because of the salt, then you realize the over whelming aroma, get on your machine and punch it. Love lake stink! WOW, I wish I never asked how fast I was going over those salt flats. My 4-wheeler is piped and has some other alterations to make it faster (stupid, stupid, stupid) but JD is still much faster. I couldn't believe the speed, we were keeping up with the vehicles on the highway!! If someone crashed...don't even think about it, I keep telling myself. Finally at just before dusk Wendover is in sight. The entire group lines up and the local police escorted us to the casino. That was one of the funnest parts, riding through Wendover on my 4-wheeler! We had brought our truck and trailor out the night before so we wouldn't have to ride back to Dell the next morning. Once at the casino we went to our rooms, got cleaned up, went down for dinner, came back to our room (which by the way we could just follow the mud trail we left on our initial visit to our room) and went to sleep. No gambling for us we were much too tired! And I couldn't use my right arm for a few days because of Throttle Fatigue...yes that's a real acute condition, look it up! All-in-All it was a great experience and we had a lot of fun! Would I do it again...maybe?!

1 comment:

Ambo said...

Oh you are gettin old! Don't you remember tire riding??
YaY for blogging! :)

..